Thursday 5 November 2009

my creative space - with a problem and a challenge

my creative space this week is somewhat messy (who am i kidding, my creative space is messy every week, so unlike everyone else's creative spaces, hosted by kirsty). see i am in the middle of making a skirt. i am pretty proud of it - its not from a pattern, i'm making it based off a skirt i already own. i have tried this kind of thing before, and it always ends in disaster - so i am really pleased that this one is going sooo well. just a few finishing touches and i will be all summer skirted up. the problem is i am making it out of the fabulous fabric in the foreground (ooh, big word) of the pic. the problem isn't the fabric - i LOVE the fabric. its a double bed sheet i opped some time ago that has been waiting for the perfect project. the fabric is soft, vintage, brown and yellow and orange and white and second hand and utterly perfect for this skirt. the problem is more what to do with it now. see the fabric is pretty distinctive and having made a skirt that i can see myself wearing all summer, i am unsure what to do with the rest of the sheet. this is where the challenge comes in - i need some help. does anyone have any ideas of what i should do with the rest of the sheet? or indeed with what you can do with the rest of the sheet? or with part of it? i'm happy to share the sheet around and i'd love to hear your thoughts...

11 comments:

Kate said...

Ohhh, I'd love to see the finished skirt, it will be so soft and lovely in that fabric. No idea what to do with the rest.

Kirsty said...

It's a gorgeous print. Whatever you make will be lovely I'm sure.

Looking forward to seeing the skirt finished.

Gina said...

Oooh, I'm thinking a picnic rug! Patchwork-ish made from the sheet, and some solids and maybe other vintage floral as well. I have a few things I could chuck your way! I can just see you heading out for a lovely park lunch with skirt and whipping out the lovely matching blanket!

Angie said...

Is there enough for a pair of casual lounge pants/PJs....perfectly comfy for hot summer nights (in Tassie at least)

yardage girl said...

Hmmm - good challenge. What about some flower shaped (to match the flowers in the fabric) cushions? I like the PJ pant idea too. Good luck!

Miss Muggins said...

What gorgeous fabric. The skirt is going to look amazing. Vintage sheets also lend themsleves well to little zippered pouches, and cute little girl's dresses and bloomers. I love Gina's idea lots. Enjoy!

Angie said...

P.S. My space is far,far messier than yours....that is why all my pictures are taken on the floor in the hallway because everything else is COVERED!

annamaria potamiti said...

The fabric is gorgeous, so I am sure you will make something extra lovely with it- whatever it may be-I have seen some lovely aprons made from vintage fabrics, or you could combine it with some contrasting fabric and make a summer bag to go with the skirt.
Best luck with your project(and best fun!)
Annamaria

Michelle said...

Well, I cut up vintage sheets and put them in as lining for my bags, which is a horrifying thought to many people!

My ideas for you - a summer-style swimming pool/beach tote, with lots of pockets inside and out for sunscreen and sunnies and car keys; a tunic style top (not to wear with the matching skirt - to wear with cropped jeans or something similar!); the backing for a quilt (if you make quilts!)

M* (Melanie) said...

It is gorgeous fabric. Gosh you could make so many things out of it. Cushions, softies, placemats...the list is endless. You could make another skirt in denim or a brown fabric and use a strip of the fabric as a panel or pockets?

Aussie-waffler said...

I wish I could offer some constructive advice but I would probably just start doodling little people and witches everywhere, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you have in mind :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails