i forgot to snap the cake itself, but here is the evidence at least that i made it...
2 tablespoons brewed coffee
125g butter, chopped
200g dark chocolate, chopped
¼ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
100g (1 cup) almond meal
100g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
Cocoa powder, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease cake tin.
- Place coffee, butter and dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt in microwave, stirring often. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add cocoa and ¼ cup sugar to warm chocolate mixture. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in egg yolks, almond meal and milk chocolate.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add remaining ½ cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until thick and glossy. Fold into chocolate mixture, spoon mixture into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (i left it for 35 minutes and it was a touch overcooked, so keep an eye out) or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with cocoa. Serve.